While our bodies love and want to keep most of it, most people want to get rid of fat one way or another. This is, of course, easier said than done, especially in some areas where it is doggedly persistent. One example is submental fat, or double chin, as some call it. Not so long ago, there were three ways to get rid of it: exercise, diet, and liposuction. These days, we have another option, and people can now opt to use cosmetic products like Belkyra to get rid of the submental fat once and for all.
What Is Belkyra?
Belkyra, better known as Kybella in the US, is a non-surgical injectable approved both by the FDA and Health Canada for removing fat deposits under the chin. The product is produced by Allergan Aesthetics, the same company that produces Juvederm and Botox.
This innovative treatment offers a safe and effective alternative to invasive procedures, providing individuals with a non-surgical solution to address their submental fat concerns. With Belkyra, patients can achieve a more contoured and defined jawline without the need for surgery or extensive downtime.
During clinical trials involving 500 patients, 82.4% reported significant improvements. With its proven efficacy and growing popularity, Belkyra/Kybella has become a trusted choice for individuals seeking a non-surgical solution for getting rid of a double chin.
How Do Belkyra Injections Work?
The wonder substance behind Belkyra’s success is Deoxycholic acid, a naturally occurring bile acid found in every human body that digests fat by breaking the fat cell membrane. Once the membrane is gone, the human body slowly but surely gets rid of the remnants.
For the treatment to work, the patient will receive up to 50 injections. On average, it takes from 20 to 30, but this changes depending on the severity of the patient’s case. The number of treatments also varies from patient to patient, but there should be at least a month between each one.
A Belkyra treatment is typically completed in less than 30 minutes, making it a convenient option for people with busy schedules. However, multiple treatments are often required to achieve the desired effect, with the average person needing two to four treatments. Additionally, it may take up to seven months for the full effects of the treatment to become evident as the body gradually metabolizes and eliminates the targeted fat cells.
How Long Does Belkyra Last?
Belkyra is a revolutionary product. While it cannot guarantee permanent results without some lifestyle changes, the fact it targets and destroys fat cells means that you can expect the double chin to become a distant memory after as little as two treatments (though typically, a few more will be needed).
Important: While it may be tempting to try them on other parts of the body, and the patient may request it, Belkyra should only be used on fat deposits under the chin.
Benefits of Belkyra Injections
Belkyra offers a range of benefits that make it an appealing option for individuals seeking to address under-chin fat deposits. Those benefits are:
Non-surgical: Belkyra generally involves minimal discomfort and risks compared to surgical procedures.
Quick: The entire procedure takes less than 30 minutes.
Long-lasting results: Belkyra destroys the fat cells in the treated area, providing long-lasting results and mostly eliminating the need for ongoing treatments.
No downtime: The procedure typically involves minimal downtime, allowing individuals to resume their daily activities shortly after the treatment.
Minimal Aftercare: The Belkyra procedure requires minimal aftercare and doesn’t significantly disrupt daily activities. Patients can usually resume their normal routines immediately after treatment.
Natural-looking results: Belkyra can help achieve a more sculpted and defined jawline, resulting in a more youthful and balanced facial appearance.
Side Effects of Belkyra Injections
There is no medicine without a side effect or two, and the same goes for Belkyra. The following are common ones to watch out for:
- Mild pain
- Temporary nerve injury
- Difficulty swallowing
Swelling is the most common side effect and occurs in the first 48 hours. The last two: nerve injury that causes a crooked smile and difficulty swallowing, are extremely rare and will pass on their own.
Belkyra Injection Pre and Post-Treatment Aftercare
While there are no specific tests required before the treatment, there are essential guidelines that patients should follow before their procedure. These guidelines include:
- Avoid certain products: Patients should refrain from using retinoids, RetinA, vitamin A compounds, harsh scrubs or exfoliating products, or bleaching creams for two days before and after the treatment or until pinkness subsides.
- Avoid creams, lotions, and makeup: They should also not apply any creams, perfumes, lotions, or makeup to the treatment areas before the procedure.
- Avoid certain medications: Patients should avoid anti-inflammatory/blood thinning medications 10-14 days before and three to four days after treatment. This includes medications like Aspirin, Vitamin E, Gingko Biloba, and NSAIDs, which can increase the risk of bruising and swelling.
- Eat prior to the treatment: To reduce the chances of lightheadedness, patients should have a recent meal, including food and drink, before the procedure.
- Schedule timing accordingly: Patients should schedule their Belkyra appointment at least two to four weeks before special events to allow for potential bruising and prolonged swelling effects to subside.
- Shave the treatment area: Male patients should shave the Belkyra treatment area one day prior to the scheduled procedure.
- Reschedule in case of skin issues: Patients should reschedule their appointment if they have a severe rash, cold sore, or blemish in the treatment area at least 48 hours in advance.
- Avoid alcohol consumption: Patients should refrain from consuming alcoholic beverages for one week before treatment, as alcohol may thin the blood and increase the risk of bruising.
- Consider Arnica tablets: Patients may consider taking Arnica tablets starting one week prior to injections to help prevent bruising.
Patients must adhere to the following post-treatment guidelines to ensure optimal results from Belkyra and minimize the risk of unwanted side effects following the treatment:
- Temperature precautions: Advise patients to avoid exposure to extreme heat, such as jacuzzis, tanning beds, hot showers, or other sources, for 24 hours after the treatment.
- Alcohol and sodium restriction: Patients should refrain from consuming alcohol or sodium-rich foods for three days after the treatment to minimize excess swelling.
- Exercise restriction: They should also avoid strenuous exercise or physical activities for 24 hours after the treatment.
- Sleeping position: Encourage patients to sleep on their backs with their heads elevated to help reduce swelling.
- Ice packs for swelling: In cases where swelling does occur, patients may apply ice packs to the treated area during the first 12 hours. Advise them to ice the area for 15 minutes every hour. However, if the icing becomes uncomfortable, it should be discontinued.
- Massage: Advise your patients not to massage or apply any pressure to the injection area.
Who Is Belkyra Good For?
By understanding the key factors that make a patient an ideal candidate, you can make informed decisions and recommendations to optimize patient satisfaction and results.
- A stable weight: Ideal candidates should be at their desired weight or close to it and not in a position where they lost a significant amount only recently.
- Good skin condition: Belkyra treatment offers remarkable results for patients with mild to moderate skin laxity. For individuals with severe laxity or sagging skin, alternative options should be explored.
- Avoidance of surgical procedures: Belkyra provides a non-surgical alternative for patients who prefer to avoid invasive surgical interventions.
- Persistent double chin: When exercise and diet fail to address a stubborn double chin, Belkyra can offer an effective solution.
Belkyra injections have revolutionized the way we treat submental fat, providing patients with a non-surgical alternative to achieve a more defined jawline and eliminate the double chin. With its proven efficacy, long-lasting results, and minimal downtime, Belkyra/Kybella has become a preferred choice for individuals seeking a safe and effective solution. Today’s healthcare professionals can provide their patients with remarkable results and higher patient satisfaction, and we here at Med Supply Solutions can help licensed medical professionals find Belkyra.
Is Belkyra better than Kybella?
Belkyra and Kybella are the same product under different brand names and manufactured by the same company.
How long do Belkyra results last?
Once the treatment is done, the results are permanent unless patients experience significant weight gain again.
Does Belkyra actually work?
During worldwide clinical trials, 79% of participants reported that they were satisfied with the results.
- Noninvasive Submental Fat Compartment Treatment; Ava T. Shamban (MD); Dec 2016
- ATX-101 (deoxycholic acid injection) for reduction of submental fat; Benjamin Ascher, Jere Fellmann, and Gary Monheit; Aug 2016
- Overview of ATX-101 (Deoxycholic Acid Injection): A Nonsurgical Approach for Reduction of Submental Fat; Steven H Dayan, Shannon Humphrey, Derek H Jones, Paul F Lizzul, Todd M Gross, Karen Stauffer, and Frederick C Beddingfield 3rd; Nov 2016
- Proper Technique for Administration of ATX-101 (Deoxycholic Acid Injection): Insights From an Injection Practicum and Roundtable Discussion; Derek H Jones, Jeffrey M Kenkel, Steven Fagien, Dee Anna Glaser, Gary D Monheit, Karen Stauffer, and Jonathan M Sykes; Nov 2016
- Prevention and Management of Injection-Related Adverse Effects in Facial Aesthetics: Considerations for ATX-101 (Deoxycholic Acid Injection) Treatment; Steven Fagien, Patricia McChesney, Meenakshi Subramanian, and Derek H Jones; Nov 2016
- Uncommon Adverse Effects of Deoxycholic Acid Injection for Submental Fullness: Beyond the Clinical Trials; Kristy C Metzger, Erika L Crowley, Dorota Kadlubowska, and Melinda J Gooderham; Aug 2020
- Submental Area Treatment with ATX-101: Relationship of Mechanism of Action, Tissue Response, and Efficacy; Shannon Humphrey, Girish S Munavalli, Steven G Yoelin, Daniel P Friedmann, Carmen M Kavali, and Sara Sangha; Apr 2022